[Kealie Mardell | Media Coordinator]
Not that we need an excuse to celebrate the greatness of beer, but on August 7th brewers and hop heads worldwide can unite in their love of a great pint for International Beer Day. Even better than that, my favourite brew, the India Pale Ale, is recognised on the same day.
In a little bit of brew history for you, the IPA is an old English creation. As our ships sailed the seas, taking prized beer rations to India, a higher hop and alcohol content was needed as a preservative. Brew masters upped the hop levels of the traditional pale ale, and the India Pale Ale was born. Most English breweries stay true to this traditional mix, but my personal favourite is the American IPA, which typically has an even higher hop content. The IPA range includes doubles or triples, Belgian style, amber, red or black, so don’t be fooled into thinking there won’t be one for you!
So grab a glass and let the celebrations begin with seven of the best IPAs to enjoy on International Beer Day!
1) BrewDog Punk IPA – Born from one of the best UK craft brewers, this is a Scottish brew with an American hop punch.
2) Speakeasy Double Daddy IPA – Or if you can’t handle that, go for the Big Daddy single IPA, or their little brother the Baby Daddy, a session IPA.
3) Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA – Brewed with their patented device, the Hop Torpedo, this unique dry-hopping technique is definitely one to try.
4) Lagunita’s IPA – Easy drinking and happy memories – one of my go-top IPAs.
5) Dude’s Double Trunk DIPA – They say an elephant never forgets, but they might after a few of these hop heavy brews clocking in at 10.8 percent ABV.
6) Meantime IPA – A traditional English IPA using plenty of Kent Fuggles and Goldings to create the authentic flavour.
7) Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Black IPA – RIP you beautiful black IPA. Discontinued to make way for Stone’s next great brews, but still deserving a mention as it was undoubtedly one of the best.